Become an AmeriCorps VISTA member with LET’S GO
LET’S GO Boys & Girls is currently accepting applications for the following VISTA service projects:
- POSITION FILLED. Baltimore City, Baltimore STEM Scholars Program, the VISTA will develop partnerships and create systems that support the improvement and expansion of STEM learning experiences for LET’S GO STEM scholars, such as team-based STEM competitions, school and career exploration and family engagement events. The VISTA will develop systems to connect youth from under-resourced communities to various STEM resources and opportunities, as well as mentors to support the development of their STEM Identity.
- Millersville/DC, LET’S GO Student Supports Infrastructure Building. Create a continuum of learning experiences and workplace skill development for under-resourced schools, focusing on students transitioning from middle to high school. The VISTA will help pilot/systematize an opportunity for students at a NE DC High School and document best practices to help successfully offer older students’ meaningful prospects to stay in the STEM pipeline.
For more information about applying to the Millersville/DC VISTA project, please contact the DC Area Director Jacqueline Baldini. Apply here for the Millersville/DC Project
About our state sponsor, the Maryland Out of School Time Network (MOST):
The Maryland Out of School Time Network proudly serves as a statewide intermediary sponsor for AmeriCorps VISTA projects supporting more and better afterschool and summer programs for Maryland youth. Now in the 7th year of operation, our AmeriCorps VISTA program members serve as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to advance local solutions. MOST VISTA members find creative and lasting solutions to build capacity for out of school time and youth development organizations working towards:
- Inspiring the future STEM workforce by engaging youth in high quality STEM learning opportunities
- Eliminating childhood hunger by increasing the number of meals served by OST programs and enriching those programs with quality nutrition/health education
- Supporting innovative projects that expand access, improve quality, facilitate collaboration, and create new initiatives for OST programs statewide
Learn more about the current group of MOST VISTAs here!
LET’S GO VISTAs serve full time for a period of 365 days. All VISTA positions require full time dedication, with some responsibilities in the evening and on weekends. 8/26/2019 – 8/25/2020
VISTAs are required to attend a mandatory Pre-Service Orientation (PSO) prior to beginning their year of service. All lodging and travel costs to and from PSO will be covered by the Corporation for National Community Service (CNCS).
- Modest living allowance paid every two weeks; approximately $1,200 per month
- Generous leave time: 10 personal and 10 medical leave days; federal holidays and other leave recognized by service sites
- Enrollment in AmeriCorps VISTA Health Benefit Program
- Relocation allowance for new VISTAs moving over 50 miles to serve
- Childcare subsidy for qualifying VISTAs
- Ongoing training and professional development throughout year of service
- Choice of $5,920 education award or $1,800 cash stipend
- Non-competitive eligibility for federal employment for one year
- Relocation allowance to cover costs of returning to permanent residence after service
- Access to a national network of alumni
For detailed information about AmeriCorps VISTA, including member benefits, please click here.
How to Apply to be a VISTA Member
All interested applicants must complete an online myAmeriCorps application.
On the project description page, click “apply to serve” to register and begin your application. A complete application requires two references, so be sure to request those early. Please do not send cover letters or resumes unless requested; only online applications will be considered. Qualifying applicants will be interviewed by both MOST staff and LET’S GO before final decisions are made.
All applicants are required to fill out an online application through my.americorps.gov and, if selected, provide proof of age, social security number, and citizenship. All selected candidates are required to complete a federal criminal background check and child abuse clearance before beginning service.