Part of the FIRST LEGO League tournament FBR Boys and Girls Club students participate in requires students to do a core-values-based activity. To prepare, LET’S GO sharpens some of the students’ hard skills while also building their soft skills and understanding of the core values’ purpose.
The activity shown in the above picture is called the “Paper-Table Challenge.” Students used a limited supply of newspaper and masking tape to build a self-standing paper table strong enough to hold one heavy book. Once students tested their model and ensured the design was successful, they proceeded to add more books to see how many their model table could hold. The table toppled only after the number of books summed up to over 30!
Every core value activity is meant to help student think critically and problem solve within an allotted time. LET’S GO is confident students will apply what they have learned in these prep activities at the tournament.
· Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
· Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
· Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
· Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
· Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together